You know what I just noticed? My last four posts were all of baked goods. And before you ask, I have not been living off cookies, muffins and banana loaves. The hubs has been picking up the slack in the dinner department the last couple of months while I’ve been busy tying up loose ends at my old job and adjusting to the new one. With the lack of time (and motivation) to try new recipes, dinners lately have been quick and easy like teriyaki pork and quinoa salad. The last new recipe that I tried that was good enough to add to our “rotation” was this one for chicken rollups (chicken breast stuffed with zucchini, spinach and cheese).
This dish is not difficult to make by any means. It just requires a bit more effort and energy than I have after work these days.
It requires breaking out extra kitchen gadgets (grater and rolling pin) and using the stove top and oven.
But don’t let all this deter you from trying out this recipe for yourself. The outside, coated with breadcrumbs or panko, is crispy, while the chicken is moist and tender on the inside.
The chicken is so flavourful and goes so well with the hub’s simple broccoli and zucchini stir-fry.
Recipe (adapted from skinnytaste.com):
- olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 bag of spinach (~55g)
- 1/8 cup + 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 40g shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs or panko
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- olive oil non-stick spray
- Wash and dry chicken breasts, pound and season with salt (~3/8 tsp per breast) and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray or coat lightly with a bit of olive oil.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium-high heat. Saute garlic a minute, or until golden.
- Add zucchini, spinach, salt (~1/8 tsp) and pepper (~10 grindings) and saute about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- Lay chicken breasts down on a working surface and divide the zucchini-spinach mixture between the cutlets. Top with the cheese (divide shredded mozzarella and 1/8 cup parmesan between the 3 breasts). Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down. Use toothpicks to keep seams closed.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp parmesan in one bowl; in a second bowl combine 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper (~5 grindings) in another bowl.
- Dip chicken in lemon-oil mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Bake 25 – 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.