Vegetarian day week 4 was a success, even though a certain someone cheated by having some meat. Actually it was partly my fault that I didn’t tell David it was vegetarian day before he made his breakfast sandwich in the morning. But it wasn’t my fault when he chose to have 2 hot dogs for a snack in between lunch and dinner. ;)
We had a late lunch at Sushi Town and stuffed ourselves with gomae, assorted sushi and sashimi, fantastic roll and my favourite potato croquettes.
For dinner, I made noodles with a peanut sauce. This gave me a chance to use up some of the peanut butter I have and fresh cilantro from my mini herb garden before they died. :(
This noodle dish is oh so good!
The tofu wasn’t very flavourful, but that was made up for by the noodles with its creamy and spicy sauce. The only thing I would change next time is add more veggies and maybe use tempeh (if I can find it) instead of tofu.
Recipe (adapted from inspiring healthy living):
makes about 4-5 servings
- 1 375 g package of whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp (reduced-sodium) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp red chili flakes or to taste (optional)
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups kale (I used spinach)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for garnishing)
- 1 package of tempeh (I used extra firm tofu, sliced)
Other optional veggies to use include broccoli, snow peas, mushrooms, bok choy, or bean sprouts. Adding a squeeze of lime or sprinkling a few extra peanuts on top is also delicious!
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. In the meantime, prepare the peanut sauce* by whisking together the stock, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and chili flakes (if using) until smooth.
- In a large wok or frying pan on medium-high heat with 1-2 tsp olive oil, stir fry peppers with carrots, garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted (couple more minutes). While the veggies are cooking, pan fry the tempeh slices separately in 1 tsp of sesame oil until slightly brown (about 2-3 minutes per side). Set aside. **I chose sesame oil because the tempeh I purchased was sesame/garlic flavoured. Olive or canola oil works. (I brushed each side of the tofu with the sauce and fried 2-3 minutes/side with sesame oil)
- Add the green onion, cilantro, cooked spaghetti, and peanut sauce to the vegetables in the wok. Toss to coat. Serve the noodles in bowls and top with a few slices of tempeh and some cilantro.
*I like my food saucy, so I usually double the sauce ingredients.