Today is one of my dear friend’s birthday. She is the kind of friend I can go years without seeing or talking to and still pick up from where we left off. In fact, we’ve known each other for about 20 years but for almost half of that time, we’ve been either at opposite ends of the world or continent. Even so, we still know what each other is up to majority of the time – what we each did on the weekend, what we had for dinner, what we’re wearing to this event or that…..
Throughout the years, we’ve accumulated thousands of emails that I’m sure can fill volumes. Yet, when we get together, sometimes there are no words needed just a quiet understanding. We are in some ways as different as can be, but in others like two peas in a pod. Put the two of us together and you’ll be certain to: 1) have a difficult time hearing either one of us due to the quietness and speed at which we speak and 2) take forever to make a decision.
Although I often wished she wasn’t so far away, I am content to know that she is always there.
So, today I celebrate her with these cupcakes we made together 3 or 4 years ago.
Happy Birthday, my friend. This cupcake’s for you. =)
Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes (from allrecipes):
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa, 1 teaspoon salt and baking soda.
- Stir in oil, water, vinegar and vanilla until blended. Pour mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
- To make the filling: In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt until light and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop a heaping teaspoonful of the cream cheese mixture into each cupcake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
Buttercream frosting (from Piping Dreams).
Notes and Tips:
To make them truly “surprise” cupcakes, add 1/3 chocolate batter to the bottom, followed by filling and topped with batter to cover the filling.