It’s mango season and I’m mad for them! Mangoes are one of my favourite fruits. I love mangoes on its own, in mango pudding, in cakes and recently in smoothies.
But my latest mango obsession is mango salsa. Made with mangoes, tomato, red onion, lime, jalapeno and cilantro, this salsa is light and fresh. Mmm…can you smell the fresh cilantro??
Don’t you just love all the bright colours?
- 1 mango
- 1 banana or 6-8 strawberries
- 1 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 6 ice cubes
- Cut up fruit.
- Add all ingredients into blender.
Mango salsa (adapted from lip smacking):
Makes about 4 cups
- 2 large, ripe Ataulfo mangos (these are better for salsa because they have no strings), peeled, cut off the pit, and diced small – about 2 cups
- 2-3 large ripe tomato, cored, seeded and diced small – about 1 cup
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced finely, almost minced (use half this amount of the salsa will not used for tacos)
- 3-4 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3-4 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (optional – this version is especially good with black bean soup)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well to combine.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes before tasting to adjust the flavours. Your salsa may need for salt, or lime juice, or if your mangoes weren’t ripe enough, you can add a pinch of sugar.
Notes and Tips:
Adjust the salsa recipe accordingly to your liking. For example, David doesn’t like tomato very much, so I added less.